Believe it or not, clutter is a contributing factor to stress. During the Holiday Season, having a cluttered home, basement or garage can magnify an already stressful time.
The anxious feelings only increase when family and friends stop by. Clutter diverts attention from our otherwise beautiful (and often beautifully decorated) homes. Once the Holiday gifts are opened, there is the added challenge of finding places to put all of our new “toys.” And how about finding a place to store the enormous blow-up Santa that you bought on sale this year?
Clutter is not only frustrating, but it can be expensive. When we can’t locate things quickly, we waste time looking. It may even seem easier to make a quick trip the store to purchase an item that we know exists somewhere in our home. This may trigger feelings of guilt, “I know I need to get organized.”
Here are a few tips to help de-clutter your lives:
- Make it fun. Turn on some upbeat music and work as a family one room at a time. Make each person responsible for one part of the room. Even small children can help if given a little guidance.
- Make a plan. Create designated spaces and put frequently used items in accessible areas near where they will be used. (Make sure you have the right storage solutions for all of your things.)
- Store seldom used and out-of-season items out of your way. Storing on high shelves in the closet, garage or basement will open more space for items you routinely use.
- Use closed cabinets, drawers and bins to store things. Open shelving that is not organized can look and feel messy and disorganized.
- If you don’t use it, don’t need it or don’t want it, donate it, recycle it or throw it away.
- Label boxes and even cabinets with the contents … and a date. If you haven’t opened a box in over a year, you can reassess to see if you can discard it.
- Finally, when you take something out of its designated area, put it back when you have finished with it. This sounds easy, but with the many distractions we face in our busy lives, it can be difficult.
Once you have decided to organize your life, check out the many storage options offered by The Garage Store. Because having and using the right organization and storage solutions is a key to an uncluttered and less stressful life, adding more joy to this Holiday Season and beyond. Call us today to hear more. (847) 428-8862.
Happy Holidays from The Garage-Store!